Wage Assignments (M.G.L.
- Any assignment made by a married man must contain the written consent of his wife.
- An assignment for less than $3,000 must be filed with the clerk of the employee's city
or town and is valid for up to one year. It must state on its face that the first $10 of
each week's wages will be exempt.
- An assignment for $3,000 or more must be for an existing debt and can be valid for up to
two years. It must state that three-fourths of each week's earnings will be exempt.
- Such an assignment must contain a statement of the balance due and of the sums of money
received by the assignee, together with the date of every such payment and a statement as
to whether such assignment is interest, a payment on the principal, or, in case of a loan,
a payment on the charge for making and securing it.
- The assignment also must be in a certain standard form to be effective
[ Up ][ Home ] [ Case of the Week ] [ Summaries ] [ Web Sites ] [ About the Author ] [ Contact Us ]