Small Necessities Leave Act (M.G.L.c. 149, §52D)
- Under the Small Necessities Leave Act employees are entitled to a total of 24 hours of
leave during any 12 month period to:
- Participate in school activities directly related to the
educational advancement of a son or daughter;
- Accompany a son or daughter to routine medical or dental
- Accompany an elderly relative to routine medical or dental appointments or appointments
for other professional services.
- To be eligible for such leave an employee must:
- have been employed for at least 12 months;
- have actually worked for at least 1,250 hours during the
previous 12 months. (Exempt employees are presumed to have worked 1,250 hours); and
- be employed at a place where there are 50 or more employees
within 75 miles.
An employee may elect, or the employer may require the
employee, to substitute accrued, but unused paid time off.
If the necessity for the leave is foreseeable, the
employee must provide the employer with not less than seven days' notice. If it is not
foreseeable, the employee must provide as much notice as practicable.
An employer may require that the request for leave be
supported by certification.
[ Up ][ Home ] [ Case of the Week ] [ Summaries ] [ Web Sites ] [ About the Author ] [ Contact Us ]